Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I'm Just Eatin Some Rocks and Listnin to Some Jazz


Jazz? On the trail? I'm sure you have Chuck Mangione and the melody of Feels So Good in your head. Listen, I'm not the biggest fan of standard jazz unless you are one of the greats. I guess my problem is that I love drums. Elvin Jones has got to be playing if it's one of the standards.
I encountered a jazz teacher from either UL or Bellarmine once at a party. I remarked to him that I liked the jazz-funk fusion type of stuff. You'd think that I pissed on John Lennon's grave with the look he gave me. I wanted to shove an alto-sax up his pretentious ass. What a dick.
My friend Ben and I were in a band together. (SARCASM ALERT) We thought that you always let the interviewer or the audience know that you've been listening to jazz to get your indie merit badges (SARCASM OVER).
So back to the jazz that I do like. I like the crooner stuff like Chet Baker. As stated earlier I like the early jazz-funk fusion, latin/bossanova-jazz fusion (Getz), and rhythmic jazz. The following song is what really got me on a jazz tear. It is Let The Music Take Your Mind by Grant Green on Alive!.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0yic2udyhgk


The other song offering is Orientation by the Don Ellis Orchestra. I don't know much about the group at all. I heard this on NPR one night and sat in the car until is was over. I just had to hear the title and the artist. This song moves with a great groove until it gets to the 9:27 mark with the big pay off. The whole group coaleses into a heathing mass of rhythms and horn shrieks. Unbelieveable!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajmffwm9eli

No comments: